Shelter for older adults fleeing elder abuse
The Kerby Shelter is a safe place for men and women 55+ who are experiencing elder abuse.
Elder abuse may present as physical abuse, emotional abuse, financial abuse, sexual abuse, verbal abuse or neglect, usually occurring within a relationship where there is an expectation of trust. The abuse can result in distress, serious harm or even homelessness to the older adult in some situations.
If you have been experiencing elder abuse, we can help you regain your confidence, sense of peace and place in the community. In addition to various programs and amenities, we provide individualized case management support to help you re-establish yourself in the community.
Our shelter provides temporary transitional housing for up to 3 months, and our services include:
- Meals: Groceries are provided and Seniors Prepare Their Own Meals In A Communal Kitchen
- A Private Bedroom
- Case Management Support Provided By Licensed Social Workers
- Income Tax Services
- Foot Care Services Provided by Kerby Centre’s Wellness Clinic
- The FIT Room (Gym)
- Support with Financial Applications
- Counselling Referrals
- Homecare Referrals
- Assistance with Housing Applications
- Weekly Programs such as Art Classes and More
- Safety Planning
- Weekly Cleaning Services
- Sagesse Support Groups
- Kerby Centre’s Education and Recreational Programs
- Outreach Support Upon Discharge For Up To 1 Year
- And various referrals to Community Resources According To An Individual’s Needs
(A fee of 30% of a senior’s total monthly income – up to a MAX of $400.00/month is associated with shelter stay).
Elder Abuse Resource Line: (403) 705-3250
The Elder Abuse Resource Line (EARL) is operated 24/7.
Contact us if you or someone you know is experiencing elder abuse and are in need shelter or require information support.
Call The EARL If You Need:
- Information, Referral and/or Emotional Support
- Information About Our Shelter
*If you need to report an emergency, call 911