Why write a will?
Having a will creates peace of mind, no matter your age or net worth. A will helps ensure your property and money goes to the people and causes that matter most to you. Without a will, your loved ones face unnecessary added stress and taxes when dealing with your assets. Please consider including Kerby Centre in your will.
If Kerby Centre has great personal meaning to you, a legacy gift is a wonderful way to ensure your memory lives on — to support Seniors.Legacy gifts provide vital, stable support for our work and whether your estate is large or small, you can make a difference for so many seniors in our community, and provide hope for years to come.
After you have remembered your loved ones, please consider including Kerby Centre in your will.Give yourself the peace of mind by having your affairs in order. Discuss your options with your family and involve a financial advisor to help you.
When reviewing the journey of our lives, we often look for lasting meaning. We may wonder: “How will I be remembered?”
A Gift in your Will
Thank you for considering a gift in your Will to Kerby Assembly (Kerby Centre). Every gift makes a huge difference, no matter how large or small.
Past gifts from Wills have already helped so much:
- Provided a safe and secure shelter for older adults who are fleeing abuse, or at risk of being homeless
- Grocery delivery and wellness checks for frail and isolated seniors
- Information and assistance with affordable housing options for older adults
- Prepare and deliver free pre-made frozen meals to vulnerable seniors
- Health, wellness, education and recreation programs to thousands of older adults across our city
There are many options when considering a legacy gift:
- A bequest in a will
- Gift in kind (art, cars, real estate)
- Publicly traded securities
- RRSP, RRIF or TFSA
- Life insurance
- Charitable annuity
Some of the benefits of a gift in your Will:
- Allows you to take advantage of significant tax benefits as part of your long term financial and estate planning.
- Bequests can preserve more of your assets for loved ones.
- Easy to do, and easy to have a big impact, with no expense to you during your lifetime
Wording for Your Will
Here is some sample wording to help you include a charitable gift in your Will.
- You can name the residue of your Estate or a specific gift or a percentage of the residue. The residue is what remains after taxes, administrative expenses and your heirs have received their specific gifts.
Sample wording: “I bequeath the residue of my Estate (or _______% of the residue of my Estate) to Kerby Assembly (Kerby Centre)
- Another way is to name a specific amount.
Sample wording: “I give $_____________to support the work of Kerby Assembly (Kerby Centre)
A word about specific designations:
If you wish to designate to a specific gift to Kerby Centre we recommend the following wording in order to ensure your legacy is realised, should that program or service no longer exist at the time the bequest is realized:
“If through the passage of time, a designated Kerby Centre program is no longer in place, I give permission to alter the terms of my Will to adhere as closely as possible to my original wishes; or in the event that this is not possible, please direct my gift to the area of greatest need.”
Kerby Centre recommends that you consult a legal advisor when planning your Will.
A legacy gift is a gift with lasting meaning. More and more Canadians are discovering estate planning as another way to give to their charities of choice. A legacy gift to Kerby Centre is a gift with lasting meaning – a gift of time that will support future generations of seniors with the blessing of health and wellness when they need it most.
Sometimes comfort is the thing that seniors need most. A Gift in your Will is one of the most significant and lasting contributions you can make to help provide for seniors.
A Legacy Gift gives you the opportunity to remember a loved one.